I love to garden ... I think it is something I was born with. My dad loved to garden when I was a kid and I remember watching him in the garden. His mom, my grandmother, also was an advid gardener and I enjoyed spending time with her walking around the flower beds and checking on all of the beautiful shrubs and flowers. So it may be innate, this enjoyment of the garden.
Our back yard is a beautiful landscape with so many trees and shrubs. It is one of the things that made me want to buy this house. However I haven't spent the kind of time in the yard that I have wanted to ... first because I was working full time when we moved in in 2012 and then after I retired in 2014 I was busy with other things. The yard looked fine and my husband kept up the lawn and trimmed many of the shrubs so it looked good. In 2015, I began to enhance our front porch with potted flowers and continued with that this year. The porch is full of beautiful potted plants and the flowers are colorful and plentiful and look great as you are walking up to the house.
Several weeks ago, I decided to spend an hour or two out in the backyard every morning. I didn't realize it at the time but it was a pivotal decision for me on many levels. First, there is something healing and energizing about being outside in the cool of morning before it gets hot and dry. Second, working a little every day was just what the yard needed. I began trimming and cleaning up the shrubs around the yard and then began work on the trees. I carved out spots where a little color would be pretty and planted impatients in those areas. The yard is coming along and I feel a deep connection to it.
I don't have before pictures to show the improvements and that is okay. It is like getting a haircut and I'll need to continuously trim and prune these shrubs and trees as time goes on.
 |
| A little pot in the flower bed with coleus and inpatiens. |
 |
| This area was really overgrown to the point you couldn't see the rocks. |
 |
| Windchimes in the birch tree |
 |
| The rock on the left was almost completed covered by the wheeler shrub |
 |
| The walkway is now cleared of overgrowth |
 |
| This Japanese Maple is doing well |
 |
| Herb pots which need to be cleaned out |
 |
| Jade plant is a starter off another big plant and doing well and coleus doing well in strawberry pot |
No comments:
Post a Comment